Terrible start costs Hornets

Stephen Pickthall archive
Stephen Pickthall archive

Interim manager Gary Charman suffered a baptism of fire as Horsham suffered a routine 2-0 defeat at the hands of 18th placed Sittingbourne.

They went behind after just 15 minutes through a volley by Joe Taylor and the home side’s lead was increased just six minutes later through Tom Loynes.

Athough Horsham enjoyed spells of possession and decent build-up play they rarely really threatenend the Brickies’ keeper Adam Molloy.

In his first game in charge since manager Simon Colbran surprisingly stepped down on Friday, legendary player, captain and assistant manager Charman made just one change to his side, welcoming back Jamie Cade upfront who played alongside Junior Kaffo.

Charman preferred to name himself on the bench rather than in the starting line-up.

It was end-to-end stuff in the opening exchanges as first striker Omar Folkes, who has played in the Conference for Histon, forced Michael Hunter to punch clear and then for Horsham, Tony Nwachukwu was denied by the feet of home keeper Molloy.

Luke Girt had a shot tipped over the bar by Hunter at the other end.

Sittingbourne are on a good run recently, having just two weeks ago beaten Crawley Down Gatwick 3-0 away and drew 1-1 away to second-placed Hastings in midweek.

They took the lead with a well-struck goal, the ball pulled back by Loynes and volleyed from close range high into the Horsham net by Taylor.

Loynes then made it 2-0 in the 21st minute with a first time shot following a cross from the right by Girt.

Horsham then enjoyed their best spell of the match, and a raking cross from Billy Dunn unfortunately failed to connect with Tony Nwachukwu in front of goal.

Then the big talking point of the game happened as Horsham appealed vociferously for a penalty on Nwachukwu which was not given. The Horsham winger got broken through on goal when he was blatently pulled by a defender.

Horsham went into half-time still losing 2-0 and struggles to put togther much of note in the second half.

Loynes and Taylor wewre both denied by great work by Hornets’ stopper Michael Hunter, while Horsham’s main chances were both created by Nwachukwu.

The first was easily saved with not much power and the second went wide from outside the area.

That was the end of a fightback as Sittingbourne then mounted a concerted effort to score a third goal, collecting a trio of chances for Loynes,

Right at the end Horsham might have got something with an effort from Nwachukwu, but the ball was caught by Molloy and Billy Dunn saw his free-kick saved.

Horsham: Hunter, Hamilton, King, Harris, Woodburn (Franklin 75), Graves, Nwachukwu, Morley, Kaffo, Cade, Dunn.

Unused subs: Akehurst, Death, Charman

Attendance: 123