Horsham 1-5 Folkestone: Hornets thrashed in Charman’s debut as boss

Gary Charman was delighted with Horsham's performance
Gary Charman was delighted with Horsham's performance

Gary Charman’s first match in charge of Horsham turned into disaster, as the Hornets were well beaten at home by Folkestone Invicta.

The visitors from Kent tore up the script with an unforgiving second half in attack, scoring four times after the break to ruin a special day for the playing legend turned manager.

Horsham’s lone goal, scored by Junior Kaffo, came on a rare attack in the game’s final minutes.

It was far from an ideal managerial debut for Charman, who started the match to mark his 559th appearance in yellow and green.

The new boss did make his mark with team selection, though - giving teenage defender Ben Collier his first league start, and adding fellow youngster Jake Legrange after the break.

The pre-match atmosphere was one of optimism, boosted by goalkeeper and new club captain Michael Hunter celebrating his 100th appearance prior to kick-off.

But the mood quickly turned as Folkestone made a fast start, one slick move ending with Michael Everitt volleying towards goal - Charman heading the ball off the line.

But the visitors did open the scoring after 15 minutes, Paul Booth stooping to head past Hunter from Dane Luchford’s cross.

Folkestone remained on top for much of the first half, and went closest to doubling their lead when Johan Ter Horst’s seemingly goalbound effort was well blocked by Tom Graves.

Horsham’s best first half opportunity fell to Lewis Hamilton, but the defender skewed the chance wide after Billy-Joe King headed Ross Morley’s free kick into his path.

The game’s crucial second goal came 12 minutes after half time. Booth, from inside the penalty area, fired a shot from out of nowhere that flew in off the post.

Jamie Cade threatened for Horsham but moments later Folkestone had a third through former Hornet Luchford.

The away side continued the romp when Ter Horst rounded Hunter to score.

Booth cracked the crossbar before Luchford tucked in his second goal and Folkestone’s fifth after 77 minutes.

Horsham improved as Folkestone relaxed late on and Kaffo slotted in for what was nothing more than a consolation goal.

Horsham: Hunter, Hamilton, Collier, Harris, Charman (Legrange 73), Graves, Marriott (Frankland 50), Morley, Kaffo, Cade, King.