Youth soccer round-up

cuckfield cosmos u11s
cuckfield cosmos u11s

under 10

Soon back to winnings ways

Cuckfield Cosmos 1 Sporting Lindfield 0

After a week off due to bad weather, Cosmos returned to winning ways with a solitary goal from Reece Willie in the first half. Both teams battled in the long grass by putting up a solid rear guard. Lindfield proved very hard to break down as they were a well organised competitive side.

Cuckfield Cosmos 4 Sporting Lindfield 0

The first half of game 2 was very much the same as the first, with Reece Willie getting the only goal. But in the second half there was a well-worked goal as a neat passing movement was finished by Jake Lingard. Cosmos then went on to add two more through Archie King and Willie. Great credit should go to both teams for battling in difficult circumstances.

Jack and Luke bag hat-tricks

Cuckfield Cosmos Utd 6 Lindfield Rov 1

Cuckfield Cosmos Utd 6 Lindfield Rov 0

United maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with this double over Lindfield. Both games were hard fought but United pressure eventually told and hat-tricks from Luke Derrick and Jack Upton contributed to the convincing victories.

Athletic at the double

Cuckfield Cosmos Ath 8 Worthing Dyn 0

The first half of game 1 was a tight contest but two well taken individual efforts by Athletic striker Noah Fewtrell sent them in leading 2-0 at half time. After the break the hosts gradually took control and a hat-trick from Harvey Dickens plus strikes from Finley Naude, Finley Morais and Corban Ahir completed a comfortable 8-0 win.

Cuckfield Cosmos Ath 3 Worthing Dyn 1

Game 2 was much closer but an early brace from Cale Bartley and a third for the day from Noah Fewtrell gave Athletic a 3-0 half-time lead. But Worthing continued to work hard and had the best opportunities in the second half. Solid work from Archie Kinnersley in defence and keeper Chayse Williams kept the visitors at bay until the last minute when they scored from a corner.

under 11

Another win but it’s hard fought

Cuckfield Cosmos 3 Perrywood Pumas 2

Cosmos (pictured) had to battle to secure all three points. They started fairly well but were caught napping after 10 minutes. However, they responded positively and equalised a few minutes later when MoM Josh Wells cut in from the right and finished with a powerful left foot shot. They piled on the pressure for the remainder of the game and added a second when William Rogers finally found his range with a 20-yarder just before half time. More of the same followed in the second half but Cosmos had to wait until the last five minutes for the third goal, which came from a Georgie Berry penalty after George Creavy had been bundled over. Pumas hit back immrdiately with their second to lead to a nervous last few minutes for the hosts, who now go into a series of massive games starting on Sunday when they host local rivals Southdown Rovers in the League Cup semi-finals.

Southdown still on song

Southdown Girls7 Chichester City 1

Southdown continued their fine form with a battling performance against a dangerous Chi side. Holly Buckfield was floored by some strong tackles early on but bounced back to cause problems on the left wing. Mia Pordage struck with a left-footed shot after only five minutes. Sophie Hooper, playing slightly deeper than normal, showed great vision in setting up numerous chances but it was another 10 minutes before Pordage made it 2-0. Southdown skipper Rae Rothwell was a constant threat and opened her account just before half time, while Alisha Mainwaring made it 4-0 on the whistle when she fired home from the edge of the box. Chi regrouped in the second half and counter-attacked well, forcing Olivia Hudson and Charlotte Symmons to do some dogged defending, and Zahra Cheeseman to pull off a spectacular save. Chi eventually broke through for a consolation goal but hopes of a comeback were stifled by the efforts of Gemma Hebditch and Libby Ackland-Hancock. Kelly Fuller and Maddy Wallden proved a handful in attack, enabling player of the match Rothwell to complete her hat-trick and Mainwaring to grab her second.

under 14

Girls can’t find a way through

Old Varndeanians 0 Hurst Girls 0

Hurst totally dominated their first game for more than a month but just could not score. Their keeper Cerys Lupton –Jones touched the ball only a couple of times in the first half and did not have a shot to save as the defensive trio of Ellie Finch, Hayley Penn and Amber Grierson were also untroubled. There was a little more work for keeper and defence after the break, with Penn producing one of her best performances at the back. The hosts played with only one attacker but were very organised and resilient in defence. Jasmin Slater and Robyn Jenkins both had good early shots and Romaya Jackson’s corners were dangerous. Maddy Tester went close to breaking the deadlock, while Maisy Banks and Ella Winton got increasingly more involved as the game progressed and every single Hurst player gave 100 per cent.The hosts played with only one attacker but were very organised and resilient in defence.Slater, Tester and Jenkins all combined effectively in attack and showed a good understanding, while Jackson, Banks and Grierson supported ably.

Place lose unbeaten record

Sedlescombe Rangers 3

Marle Place Wanderers 1

Place’s unbeaten league run came to an end against a robust Rangers side at Oakwood Park. On a rather gloomy, damp morning, the hosts soon signalled their intentions and it was a high tempo match. Place had chances through Luke Moulds and then Nathan Arnold’s corner hit crossbar and post before going out for a goal kick. Tommy Reed tried an ambitious overhead kick as Place were showing encouraging signs.

It was a sporting contest which had some amusing moments: a home player running into the referee; assistant referee Jim Platt treading on his flag (a replacement being found by referee Ashley Davey) and the match ball having to be retrieved from the nearby River Brede by home supporters. Sedlescombe finally broke the deadlock when Michael Platt could only parry a fierce left foot shot into the path of a home forward. Sub Oliver Terry had a great chance to level but Place went 2-0 down early in the second half before at the other end Moulds hit the outside of a post and defender Ally Wotton’s goalbound shot was blocked. Terry finally pulled one back from a Mould’s assist but almost immediately Rangers restored their two-goal advantage. The hosts retained the edge but Place never gave up and it was defender Daniel Moiseiwitsch who was their MoM.

under 16

Not as convincing as it looks

Preston Panthers 2 Marle Place 5

Place maintained their 100 per cent record this season but were somewhat flattered by the scoreline after a below par show on the sloping pitch at BHASVIC. After a frenetic start where neither team dominated and several passes went astray, Jack Wilkins was lucky to win a 17th minute free kick and took full advantage by scoring with a well struck direct shot. There was little of note in the rest of the first half, although Josh Arnold struck two good long range shots, the second bringing a fine save from the keeper. Despite Place starting the second half much better, Panthers twice went close before Wilkins doubled the lead, bundling in Dave Sadler’s corner on 62 minutes. Three minutes later central defender Jake Hill rose majestically to head in from another fine Sadler corner for his first of the season. Ads Chilcott then fired in a great effort but despite conceding three goals in five minutes, Panthers continued to threaten and pulled one back from a corner on 70 minutes. They then added another to make it a potentially nervous last 10 minutes. Place keeper Wills Brimacombe made a fine save and from the clearance Wilkins put Jacob Hemsley clear for a cool finish.