West Sussex Football round-up: Cowfold, West Chilt and Southwater teams in action

The West Sussex Football League is now in full flow
The West Sussex Football League is now in full flow

In Division One Cowfold Reserves continued their good start to the new season with a 2-0 win away at newly promoted Alfold on Saturday.

On one of the best playing surfaces in the entire league, Cowfold got their passing game going early and enjoyed good possession.

It was the hosts though who enjoyed the better first half chances on the counter attack, Cowfold though defended resiliently with last-ditch tackles from Dan Smith and Phil Payne and good saves from Rhyse Dash as it stayed 0-0 at half-time.

A strong half-time team talk saw Cowfold come out with more purpose in the second half and on 50 minutes they took the lead when Chris Bellison played a fantastic square pass across the 18 yard area for veteran Craig Deane to power home with his left foot.

Cowfold only had to wait ten minutes for their second when a clever backheel from an unselfish Chris Bellison again set up Deane who thundered a shot into the top corner.

Cowfold continued playing some fantastic football and new signing Erick Semerene nearly scored when he smashed a shot against the crossbar, while man of the match Deane could have completed his hat-trick late on.

Jordan Mitchell was the hero for West Chiltington as they picked up the first silverware of the new season by defeating Cowfold on penalties to lift the Walter Rossiter trophy.

The Chilt keeper produced the final act of a thrilling contest by saving a Cowfold spot kick to win a dramatic penalty shoot-out 9-8 after the game ended 3-3.

The match was an excellent advert for the West Sussex Football League and Chilt started on fire as they stormed into an early two goal lead through Dan Leppard and Jon Donoghue.

Cowfold soon pulled a goal back only for Gary Weedon to make it 3-1 as Chilt looked in complete control. However Cowfold showed that they will be tough to beat in defending their Premier Division title as they netted twice to force the game into extra time.

Neither side could find a winner, so it went to penalties, where the first 17 spot kicks were all converted before Mitchell produced a fine save to win the trophy and spark wild celebrations amongst his team mates.

West Chiltington followed up their cup success with an excellent 5-1 victory at Faygate in the Premier Division. A terrific first half saw Chilt 3-1 up at the break with goals from David Hilditch and a Dan Clayton brace. Further Chilt second half goals came from Gary Weedon and an own goal, the only disappointment was that Clayton missed out on a hat-trick by failing to convert a penalty.

Southwater Reserves made it back-to-back wins to start the season with an impressive 4-1 win over Ockley in Division 4 North.

Southwater started brightly and took the lead when Henry Liley went through one-on-one and gave the visiting keeper no chance. Ockley hit back and put the home defence under pressure forcing Nick Baker into a couple of fine saves before Dave Rollo scored an unfortunate own goal for 1-1. Southwater though regained the lead when Liley grabbed his second of the afternoon.

The hosts were the better side second half and missed a great chance to increase their lead when Lee Parsons blazed a penalty over the bar but Southwater soon increased the lead when good work between Sam Kearton Liley and Scott Cox ended with Cox making it 3-1. Player/manager Kearton grabbed a fourth as Southwater continued their impressive start.

In Division 5 Central, West Chiltington Reserves maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with an exciting 7-5 victory at Chapel in a game of fluctuating fortunes. A hat-trick from the returning James Peake and goals from Ryan Ashley, Connor Weedon, Ryan Durant, and Chris Garlick meant Chilt have scored an incredible 17 goals in their two games.