Three Bridges blame refereeing decision for costly narrow defeat

Three Bridges FC 2012/13 (Pic by Jon Rigby) ENGSUS00220120611124656
Three Bridges FC 2012/13 (Pic by Jon Rigby) ENGSUS00220120611124656

A controversial refereeing decision in the 62nd minute was the turning point of a game between a side struggling to avoid relegation and one guaranteed a play-off place.

Bridges thought that they’d won a free-kick near the centre of the field as Williams Peauroux went down, and both Peauroux and Mark Pulling grabbed the ball.

Referee Graeme Ions allowed play to continue and Folkestone broke quickly and found Johan Ter Horst.

As he burst into the box, he was brought down by Marlon Maxwell who was shown a red card.

Elliott Romain was cautioned for trying to involve an assistant referee as the game was held up for five minutes as Bridges protested.

James Everitt eventually stroked home the penalty to give Invicta a 2-0 lead that had started with a 38th minute goal from the game’s star player, 19-year-old Ter Horst, who is heading to Hull City next season!

Bridges’ Tony Garrod, Peauroux and Pulling had all tested the visiting defence.

After Maxwell’s dismissal, Ter Horst continued to impress with a header that was well held by Martin Grant and an effort that hit the near post.

But Bridges forced their way back into contention after 71 minutes when a deep free-kick by Peauroux was met by a header from Allan Tait that looped over keeper Tim Roberts.

For a time, a Bridges equaliser looked on the cards. Matt Daniel had a stabbed shot just held by Roberts and a long range volley by Peauroux flashed just wide.

But after 89 minutes a Folkestone attack saw the ball eventually drop invitingly for substitute Chris Elliott to smash home.

But two minutes into added-time sloppy defending allowed Garrod to take full advantage, but the nearest to a goal after that came when Elliott drove just wide.

Bridges lost precious points and were left to rue what might have been but for a dreadful refereeing error.

Bridges: Grant, Cooke, Brake, Roberts (Touray 64), Maxwell, Pulling (Daniel 64), Peauroux, Carney, Tait, Garrod, Romain.

Unused subs: Djimah, Leach, Parsons.

Attendance: 154

Aerotron Man of the Match: Marlon Maxwell.