Pearce pops up to rescue a Rocks point

Ollie pearce (No 10) runs away to celebrate the Rocks' equaliser / Picture by Tim Hale
Ollie pearce (No 10) runs away to celebrate the Rocks' equaliser / Picture by Tim Hale

It was honours evens as an 88th minute equaliser from Ollie Pearce earned Bognor a 1-1 draw at home to Enfield.

After two wins on the bounce the Rocks were hoping for a similar outcome at home to early Ryman premier strugglers Enfield Town, who had only won one and drawn one game in their start to the season.

James Crane and Craig Robson were missing through suspension, with Chad Field and Daryl Wollers both getting starts.

Early on, Stuart Green capitalised on a loose square ball to run through and try to pass to Alex Parsons but a defender shielded the ball out for a goal kick.

A cross from the right by Green was searching for Jason Prior in the box on five minutes but Nathan McDonald did well to gather it.

A long ball over from Prior saw him try to tee up Ollie Pearce but a defender got there first to clear for a throw.

Nathan Livings received a yellow card on eight minutes after he slid in late on Parsons.

Dan Beck’s cross from the left was bound for Prior but was well stopped by McDonald.

Sami El-Abd had to pass back to his goalkeeper with Bobby Devyne threatening and Grant Smith had to clear quickly, but his clearance went higher and wider than he expected.

A lay-off from Prior to Pearce almost led to the first goal. Pearce struck it first time with his left boot but the ball just fizzed wide of the left post on 16 minutes.

Wollers took a shot in the face after blocking an attempt by Kenny Orenuga on 20 minutes.

Field did well to get back and slide in to defend a chance by Livings. The corner was headed clear by Prior.

An injury to Doug Tuck led to him being replaced by Gary Charman after just 24 minutes.

The Rocks seemed content on keeping the ball in their own half for much of the next period. A slow build-up meant Enfield players often pressured them in their own half, which led to the ball going out of play regularly.

Green did well to get into position to shoot but from outside the area his attempt was easily saved.

Parsons was replaced by Alfie Rutherford on just 34 minutes after he suffered an injured foot.

Pearce was pushed over moments later and won a free-kick far on the left. Pearce’s cross was looking for frontman Prior but McDonald caught it instead on 36 minutes.

Wollers received a yellow card on 38 minutes for apparently tripping Orenuga on the run. The free-kick was easily cleared though.

Green went close with a left footed shot that bounced wide on 44 minutes. He claimed he got a deflection off the defender but the claims for a corner were ignored.

HT 0-0

A half time substitution for the visitors saw Tyler Campbell replace Orenuga.

A cross from the left bounced through to Pearce, who blasted it first time but it swirled wide of the left post.

Bognor won a corner through Rutherford on 51 minutes. Pearce’s kick fell to Prior, whose header was somehow cleared off the line.

During this incident Prior had clashed with Joe Stevens and the latter required treatment and was replaced by Connor Witherspoon on 53 minutes.

Good work from Harvey Whyte teed up Rutherford, who used his pace before squaring the ball into the box. Prior was waiting for it but the bouncing ball wasn’t directed well as it flew low past the left post.

Prior was tripped on 60 minutes. He stepped up to take the free-kick going for goal but he curled his free kick high and over the crossbar.

Devyne scored the opening goal of the game on 63 minutes. After beating the offside trap, the striker flicked the ball deftly over Smith and let it bounce into the goal after a straight pass to him just in front of the goalkeeper. Bognor players thought the player was clearly offside.

Wynter went close on 66 minutes. Following a square pass from the left, the nifty striker did well to get into space before firing just over the bar from outside the box.

El-Abd received a booking on 69 minutes after stopping Campbell in his tracks just outside the penalty area. The free-kick was taken on 70 minutes by Livings but his effort sailed well over the Bognor goal.

Beck’s lofted forward ball was well gathered by McDonald before Snorre Nilsen replaced Wollers on 72 minutes.

Enfield decided to use their final substitution, replacing Wynter with Scott Durojaiye on 75 minutes.

Charman committed a needless challenge on 77 minutes and he too went into the book as frustrations grew for Bognor.

Whyte’s forward ball into the box fell kindly for McDonald on 78 minutes as the clock ticked down for Bognor.

Whyte retaliated after a challenge and received a yellow card on 82 minutes and a similar fate followed for Ricky Gabriel seconds later for time-wasting.

Smith had to gather low to his right to stop Devyne from getting a shot away later on.

A chip from Beck spun up in the air and El-Abd was there but again McDonald was first to it, scuppering yet another half chance for Bognor.

Rutherford also had a curling shot stopped nicely by the goalkeeper as Bognor simply could not find the net.

But Bognor equalised on 88 minutes through a deflected shot by Pearce. A header from Prior after a Pearce corner was almost the winner for Bognor right at the end but a defender cleared it.

Rocks: Smith, Whyte, Wollers (Nilsen 72), Tuck (Charman 24), El-Abd, Field, Green, Beck, Prior, Pearce, Parsons (Rutherford 34). Unused sub: Horncastle.

The Rocks play host to Met Police in the league on Wednesday and Merstham in the FA Cup next Saturday.


Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!