Paul Faili furious after Three Bridges’ defeat

Three Bridges V Carshalton 18-10-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) PPP-141020-161322004
Three Bridges V Carshalton 18-10-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) PPP-141020-161322004

Paul Faili was understandably angry after Bridges managed to throw away a game that was there for the taking when they lost 3-2 away to Carshalton.

He moaned: “There were absolutely no positives” to be taken from this latest performance.

Yet Bridges started so confidently. A good move involving Tony Garrod and Allan Tait finished with Abu Touray taking too long and firing into the side netting, but the visitors still managed to take a sixth minute lead when Tait laid the ball off for Lee Carney to chip through for Garrod to slip past a helpless Jack Eden.

And Bridges continued to dominate the early stages, Tait coming close with a snap shot. It was though the early loss through injury to Tait that upset the rhythm of Bridges, although for a while they continued to threaten with Garrod, Touray and Hakeem Akelandun all coming close.

But the first half ended with Bridges being grateful to their keeper Kieron Thorp for keeping them in front as he made brilliant saves to deny Brendan Murphy-McVey and Tommy Bradford.

Carshalton came out of the blocks for the second half and somehow missed good chances from Ricardo Panton and the lively Mickel Miller before they grabbed a 49th minute equaliser.

Miller created the chance with a low cross and Sean O’Toole had an easy finish.

Ten minutes later came a most unusual booking as the referee overruled his assistant and awarded Bridges a corner. Substitute Callum Donaghey, who was still warming up, made a comment to the assistant, who duly reported him to the referee, and the yellow card was shown!

Bridges were still on the back foot so it was a surprise when they regained the lead after 63 minutes.

A long throw by John Lansdale was nudged on by Ben Godfrey and Sam MacVicar applied the telling touch.

But the Robins weren’t to be denied. Thorp was again in the action with terrific saves from O’Toole and Miller, but in the 75th minute even he had no answer to a piece of individual magic as O’Toole made a run from inside his own half and caught the visiting defence cold before finishing in style.

The home side continued to look the more likely to snatch a winner and they did so in the 90th minute as Miller worked his way across the face of the goal before drilling home.

Somehow there were six minutes of added-time, but if anything Carshalton looked more likely to add to their tally whilst Bridges’ hopes of an equaliser looked forlorn.

Bridges: Thorp, Lansdale, Whitehead, MacVicar, Dynan, Crellin, Touray (Pulling 84), Godfrey (Donaghey 75), Tait (Adelakun 18), Carney, Garrod.

Aerotron Man of the Match: Kieron Thorp.