Oaks hit Seaford for six in second game of 2015

Westfield v Oakwood football action - Oakwood celebrate scoring SUS-150802-112434002
Westfield v Oakwood football action - Oakwood celebrate scoring SUS-150802-112434002

Oakwood emerged triumphant when they hit bottom of the table Seaford for six.

The Tinsley Lane side were without a few key players and had only played one league match this year so were expected to be rusty and slow to get into the game.

Oakwood started with a 4-3-3 formation looking to go home with a win against the bottom of the league opposition, although it wasn’t going to be a breeze.

Oakwood started with an urgency and endeavour creating chances in the first minute.

In the second minute they had scored through Dean Lovegrove’s persistence, chasing down the defender coming out the victor of a 50/50 challenge seeing him with the goal in his crosshairs, he placed the ball past the keeper with relative ease.

The second goal came only 10 minutes after the first with a great little wall pass between Clive Piller and Toby Gilbert who lost his marker.

The goal opened up for Piller to hit the back of the net with a placed side-foot shot.

On the 18th minute a cross was delivered across the box for the midfield duo of Piller and Miller to create the third.

Piller unselfishly controlled the cross and brought the ball down into the path of the on coming Miller to fire the ball in to the bottom corner for the Oaks to take a commanding lead.

Although the Oaks led 3-0 they certainly weren’t firing on all cylinders and frustration started to play a part.

The team were over-playing and over-complicating a game that they could have sealed in the first half.

Half-time came and Oaks were 3–0 up and had chances to go further ahead and were lucky the home team had hit the woodwork three times in the opening half.

The second half started with the same vigour from Oakwood but this time they were out playing Seaford and making it hard for them to get possession.

Seaford you could see were struggling to keep up with the slick second half performance.

Oakwood were knocking the ball around quickly and with confidence probing one of Seaford’s full-backs at every occasion.

Seaford Town had conceded their fourth within 10 minutes of the restart with a venomous shot from Toby Gilbert deflecting over the ‘keeper and nestling the back of the net.

The fifth was long in coming and one of the club’s topscorers in their history, Gerald Manville, added another goal to his Oakwood tally.

Seaford looked defeated and their frustrations were building with physical challenges being made all over the park.

Oakwood were now playing really well and continued to press and create opportunity after opportunity, it was a one-sided half with Jess Grimstone only touching the ball twice with pass-backs from the defenders.

In the 85th minute the final Oakwood goal came from a lovely piece of two-touch play working the ball across to the right hand wing and Darren Tidy lofted a cross to the back post for Gilbert to nod past the challenging ‘keeper for his second of the game.

Oakwood: Jess Grimstone, Des Jemwa, Charlie Adsett, Glen Woodburn, Scott Faber, Clive Piller, Grant Miller, Dean Lovegrove, Toby Gilbert , Gerald Manville, (Mark Gilbert), Darren Tidey