Hillians and Rangers lose on the road

will miles (burgess hill town youth)
will miles (burgess hill town youth)

There were away defeats for Burgess Hill and St Francis Rangers on Tuesday night.

Hillians took an early lead at Sittingbourne when the returning Pat Harding converted a Nicky Wheeler cross from close range.

But the Kent hosts were in front by the half hour mark after striking twice in six minutes.

The first came from the penalty spot and the second from a quick break that caught the Hill defence napping.

Visiting boss Ian Chapman said: “We certainly shot ourselves in the foot although in fairness they could probably have had three penalties, so no grumbles there.

“As usual we had lots of the ball but again lacked a cutting edge. That doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t know.

“I couldn’t play young Greg Luer because he had a big youth game coming up on the Thursday. That was a shame because he gave us a bit of vision and guile around the box on Saturday.

“Still it was good to be able to give youth centre half Will Miles (pictured) the last 10 minutes and again Max Miller did well up front.

“After their two goals, I can’t remember Mark (Zawadski) having a save to make.”

The Hillians team for the Ryman South game was: Zawadski; Watts, Pointing, Tuck, Fisk; Wheeler, Budd, McLaughlin, Hayward; Harding, Miller. Subs: Howell (Wheeler, 71), Miles (Watts, 80). Unused subs: Thomson, Luer.

This Saturday Hillians visit Leatherhead and on Tuesday entertain Herne Bay.

Meanwhile, St Francis Rangers fell away badly after a bright start away to Lingfield in County 1.

Manager Geoff Pitcher knew it was going to be a big ask against in-form hosts but was disappointed at the way his side tailed off.

“Having got up to tenth in the league I think a few of the players may have taken the foot off the pedal,” he said.

“I thought we played really well early on but once we conceded it was back to the bad old St Francis ways and there was only going to be one winner from there.”

Kieran Pamment fired them into an eighth minute lead after Pat Rose had challenged for the ball on the edge of the box.

But a poor kick by Rob Cooper was returned through the middle for Nick Forster to equalise on 15 minutes.

Forster struck again on 34 minutes and two minutes later Rangers were facing a mountain to climb when Tom Hughes made it 3-1.

The scoring was completed by Chuck Duru on 65 minutes.

The Rangers team was: Gordon; Dodd, Lawrence, Barnes (Walsh), Vinten; O’Neill; Rose, Mott (C Pitcher), Clark; Jeremiah (Fugl), Pamment.