Harding brace sees Burgess Hill Town through in FA Trophy

Pat Harding, Burgess Hill Town. Picture by Steve Robards SUS-140822-130042001
Pat Harding, Burgess Hill Town. Picture by Steve Robards SUS-140822-130042001

Burgess Hill hosted this FA Trophy game against Chesham United and made two changes to the side that lost to Dartford previously in the FA Cup.

Darren Budd replaced the injured Graham Martin and Will Miles replaced the unavailable Toby Pointing.

The game started with both sides keeping things tight until on seven minutes Pat Harding broke clear of the away defence and hit a powerful shot towards goal that saw Shane Gore pull off a great save down to his right that went out for a corner.

Chesham created their first chance on fifteen minutes when Darren Purse rose above the hill defence from a corner but his header went just wide and from the goal kick Neil watts broke down the right and put in a great cross to find Darren Budd at the near post whose header just cleared the bar.

On twenty seven minutes the visitors Ashley Smith tried his luck from just outside the box but Josh James comfortably dealt with it and just after Ryan Blake had two chances the first saved by James and the second found the side netting.

Hill finished the first half the stronger when on forty one minutes Neil Watts quick throw found the lively Luer just outside the box and his powerful shot was saved well by Gore and then on the stroke of half time Hill got the first of the game when again Luer attacked the away defence and he passed to Scott Kirkwood who’s shot flashed across the box and Pat Harding had a simple tap in at the far post.

The second half started with Hill attacking from the start and it was only for a strong tackle from Darren Purse that stopped Hill adding a second goal to the score.

Chesham created two very good chances in the next ten minutes with Liam Malone shooting just over from the edge of the box and Dave Pearce just shooting wide of the far post.

Both teams enjoyed time on the ball for the middle part of the second half but didn’t really create any real chance’s on seventy five minutes Hill got the second goal of the game when Luer put in a low cross that found pat Harding at the far post and his first effort at goal was blocked but he made no mistake with his second effort and he smashed the ball home to make it 2-0.

Ian Chapman made two changes in the last few minutes with Keehan being replaced by Breach and Lee Harding replacing Rob O’Toole but were not able to add to the two goals and now await the draw for the next round.

Burgess Hill:

Josh James, Neil Watts, Sam Fisk, Darren Budd, Andy Pearson, Will Miles, Scott Kirkwood, Joe Keehan (Chris Breach 87), Pat Harding, Greg Luer, Rob O’Toole (Lee Harding 84).

Subs not used: Paul Armstrong, Dan Perry, Paul Wood

Referee: Greg Read

Attendance: 258