Faversham Town 3 Three Bridges 0: Bridges suffer third defeat in a row

Three Bridges V Carshalton 18-10-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) PPP-141020-161137004
Three Bridges V Carshalton 18-10-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) PPP-141020-161137004

A third successive defeat for Bridges and they could hardly complain as Faversham turned their string of chances into second half goals.

A weak finish by Jamie Maxted inside the first three minutes gave a dignity of what was to come, but Bridges had a decent chance of their own after 11 minutes when a swift counter-attack finished with Hakeem Adelakun driving just wide.

Kieron Thorp was forced to make a good save to deny Sam Bewick and Dean Grant headed another effort wide.

But the miss of the game came when Bewick had a shot blocked but only cleared as far as Josh Stanford.

His finely threaded ball reached Grant in a perfect position, but he incredibly shot wide from four yards!

Bridges were defending with a mixture of skill and luck, but they might even have gone in with a half-time lead but Sam MacVicar’s shot was deflected for a corner.

Thorp made a brilliant save to keep out the dangerous Wayne Wilson’s free-kick as Faversham stepped up the pressure, and in a rare counter-attack Ben Godfrey struck the top of the crossbar.

But after 65 minutes the almost inevitable goal arrived as Jack Harris, who scored all four goals when Faversham won at Bridges earlier in the season, found himself clear and cut inside before seeing his shot hit the inside of the near post before clipping home off the inside of the other post!

Five minutes later the home side’s tally doubled when players from both sides contested a loose ball in the box. Grant was even on the floor but eventually Bewick swept the ball into the empty goal.

Bridges, who had looked second best for most of the second half, suddenly found themselves with a couple of chances. Home keeper Robert French was forced to make a flying save to keep out Tony Garrod’s long range effort, whilst MacVicar and Godfrey both had drives deflected away for corners.

But in the last minute two Faversham substitutes combined for their third goal, Renford Tenyue’s deflected knock through finding Kiern Oliver, whose shot couldn’t quite be cleared on the line by Charlie Leach.

Bridges: Thorp, Lansdale (Leach 71), Brake, Whitehead, Dynan, Adelakun, Touray, Godfrey, MacVicar, Garrod, Peauroux.

Unused subs: Gannon, Cox, Bingham

Aerotron Man of the Match: Nigel Brake