Chichester sink Saints ... Blues battle to the last ... Lions tamed

Kieran Hartley vies for possession in Chi's win over St Francis / Picture by Louise Adams
Kieran Hartley vies for possession in Chi's win over St Francis / Picture by Louise Adams

CHICHESTER City were the only one of our local sides in the Sussex League to record a victory in the latest round of games.

Here are the reports.

Chichester 0 Newhaven 2

Peter Bentley Cup semi-final

Chichester 3 St Francis Rangers 2

Division one

CHICHESTER were made to pay for missed chances in their Peter Bentley League Cup semi-final and eventually lost 2-0 to Newhaven in an entertaining clash at Arundel.

City created numerous opportunities throughout the first half but had to be content with a 0-0 scoreline at the break.

Apart from hitting the bar on 43 minutes, Newhaven were thin on ideas – but they managed to turn it around in the second period just when the tie appeared to be heading towards extra-time.

A brilliant save from keeper Anthony Ender on 81 minutes kept City in the contest, but the resulting corner was not cleared, allowing Lee Robinson to hit Newhaven’s opening goal.

And when the Dockers were awarded a penalty five minutes later, the tie was effectively over with Ryan Walton successfully converting from the spot.

On Saturday, City made four changes to the starting XI for their penultimate game of the season against a St Francis Rangers side that contained half-a-dozen reserves.

City’s giant under-18 forward Jimmy Wild continued to enhance his reputation, bagging two of the goals in a 3-2 victory, with Michael Frangou claiming the other on 70 minutes to give Chichester a two-goal cushion before Saints pulled one back late on.

Daren Pearce’s side conclude their season this Saturday with a visit to Horsham YMCA.

CITY (v Newhaven): Ender, Williams, Dowden, Pearce, Cody, Hegarty, Hartley, Edwards, Wild, Bush, Ansa. Sub: Smith.

CITY (v St Francis): Holden, Williams, Bingham, Pearce, Boniface, Hegarty, Hartley, Edwards, Bush, Frangou, Wild. Sub: Boulton.


Selsey 3 Eastbourne Utd Assoc 3

Division one

The Blues showed they are ready to battle to the bitter end of a tough season as they came back from the dead to claim a point at home to Eastbourne.

Selsey trailed to an early Aaron Capon strike but levelled through Lindon Miller just before the break.

When Max Taylor and Matthew Geard put the visitors 3-1 up with 16 minutes left, it looked like Steve Bailey’s team were destined for another defeat.

But there has been a new resilience about them in recent weeks and goals in the final five minutes by Dave Rough and Mark Thompson rescued a point.

Trying to avoid a bottom-place finish will be the Blues’ motivation when they play their final game, at Hailsham, on Saturday.

Eastbourne Town 4 Pagham 0

Division one

Eastbourne Town claimed a fourth-place over a Pagham side who were already assured of third spot.

Town were quickly into their stride as Danny Ellis opened the scoring after seven minutes. Leyton Schaaf put them two up ten minutes later.

Kenny Pogue, who had scored in Eastbourne’s 3-1 defeat at home to Littlehampton, was back among the goals as he made it three and Dominic Clarke rounded off an excellent afternoon with a fourth in the 75th minute.

It leaves Pagham hoping to finish a fine season on a happier note this Saturday when struggling Ringmer are the final visitors to Nyetimber Lane.