DOG owners are being warned to keep their pets away from beaches in the area after palm oil washed up on to shore.
HMCoastguard Littlehampton said large quantities of palm oil had washed up on beaches throughout the area, including Littlehampton and Bognor Regis, during the last few days.
The coastguard has warned the hard, white fatty substance can be fatal to dogs if ingested.
Arun District Council is also aware of the substance and plans to remove it when possible.
HM Coastguard Littlehampton added: “If you come across any on the beach please do not touch it and do not let dogs near it.”
Palm oil has also washed up as far as Shoreham beach, leading to a dog becoming ill after eating it.
The palm oil is thought to have come from a ship washing out its tanks and dumping it at sea.