Firefighters were forced to climb through a window of a village flat after smoke was seen ‘billowing’ out of the property.
A crew from Shoreham was sent Market Field, Steyning, at about 10.30am this morning (Thursday July 7).
A fire service spokesman said when crews arrived they saw smoke ‘billowing’ out the window of a first floor flat.
The occupier of the flat was not home. Two firefighters, equipped with a hose reel and breathing apparatus, climbed a ladder and entered the property through the window.
The fire service said the smoke was caused by unattended cooking in an oven but no fire was found.
The property was left to naturally ventilate and the incident was recorded as an accident.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has warned people to make sure everything is turned off before leaving their homes.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.