Tribute paid to popular taxi driver after Horsham crash

Emergency services at the scene in Comptons Lane
Emergency services at the scene in Comptons Lane

A tribute has been paid to a ‘loyal’ and ‘well known and loved’ taxi driver who died following a crash in Horsham.

Emergency services were called to Comptons Lane at about 10.40am on Tuesday, July 5.

Police said a taxi and a lorry were involved in a collision at the junction of Heron Way, between Millais School and Forest School.

Firefighters were called after the driver of the taxi, named locally as Peter Etherington, became trapped in the vehicle. He was cut free by crews but was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Mr Etherington had been working as a taxi driver in the town for 30 years.

He joined AAA2B when it was founded 18 years ago and became ‘one of the family’.

A spokesman for the firm said: “It is with great sadness that we have to confirm the passing of Peter ‘Pedro’ Etherington. The owners and all of the staff at AAA2B are in a state of shock.

“‘Pedro’ lost his life doing a job he loved. He was a loyal member of our team and will be greatly missed.

“Being one of our longest serving drivers, he had been with the company since it was founded 18 years ago.

“‘Pedro” was well known and loved throughout the taxi circuit in Horsham.

“At this time we cannot provide any further information surrounding the fatal accident and it would be wrong for anyone to speculate.

“We would like to thank all of the emergency services for their outstanding response and care.

“We now need to leave the Police to complete their investigation into this tragic loss of life.

“Our thoughts are with Pedro’s wife and the others who were involved in this tragic accident.”

The Air Ambulance along with three ambulances, two paramedic cars and members of the Hazard Area Response Team were sent the crash.

A spokesman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said two teenagers, who were travelling in the taxi, suffered chest injuries.

They were treated at the scene before being taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton for further checks.

Police said a 34-year-old man from Crawley was arrested after providing a positive drugs test and has been bailed pending analysis.

Anyone who saw what happened is asked to contact quoting Operation Bridgetown.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @wscountytimes

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!

The County Times – always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.