Pair found guilty of stabbing

Another two men have been found guilty of stabbing a man who lost his arms and legs in Worthing last year.

Patrick Brookes, 26, unemployed, from Clifton Road, Worthing, and Jeremiah Reynolds, 25, unemployed, from Ascham End, North London, were found guilty yesterday after a three week retrial at Hove Crown Court.

Dominic Brookes, 18, a student from Bramble Close, Croydon, and a 17-year-old boy from Worthing were charged with GBH with intent and found guilty at Hove Crown Court in August.

The victim, Ernest Moyo, who is known as Joe, was attacked as he left a party in Pavilion Road in Worthing on Saturday 11 August 2012.

The then 25-year-old had been at the party and after an altercation with another group, he left. Later he returned with friends and there was a fight with the four men.

He was stabbed in the leg and stomach and was left in the road where emergency services rushed to the scene. Joe was left fighting for his life and was in hospital with three stab wounds, one to his thigh and two to his abdomen.

After infection spread and his vital organs were put in danger, the decision by doctors was made to amputate his arms and legs.

His family were so distressed by the incident and Joe had such little recollection of what happened to him, they told him initially he had been in a car crash.

Patrick Brookes was arrested on the night, along with another man who was later released without charge, and then charged with GBH with intent the following day.

Nine days later, Reynolds, Dominic Brookes and the 17-year-old, who was 16 at the time, were arrested and charged also with GBH with intent on 22 August.

They all pleaded not guilty, claiming they were not involved in stabbing Joe.

All four of them will be sentenced on the week beginning April 22.

Detective Constable Laura Sinden said: “I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and am pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice. The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life. The injuries Joe sustained from the stab wounds have meant he had to have his limbs amputated and therefore the consequences of that night will be with him for the rest of his life.

“This was a vicious attack that left Joe fighting for his life in the middle of the road. We have worked hard, with the support of Joe’s family, to bring these men to justice.”

For more information pick up a copy of this week’s Herald, out Thursday.