Gardening, therapy dogs and colouring are just a few of the activities on offer at West Sussex libraries during Mental Health Awareness Week.
Running from Monday May 16, this year’s theme of ‘Relationships’ is being explored by libraries who are hoping to raise awareness of mental health issues.
There are around one in four adults and one in ten children affected by mental health problems.
Monday May 16:
• Bognor Regis Library from 2pm to 4pm: Support organisations will be providing information and advice and brightening up the library’s garden. People will be planting flowers in the library’s soon-to-be developed community garden at 3pm whilst organisations are on hand to answer questions including Coastal West Sussex Mind, Bognor Regis Library, Carers’ Support West Sussex, Aldingbourne Trust, Alzheimer’s Society, Frame of Mind, Cross Roads Care and Age UK Laburnum Centre.
Tuesday May 17:
• Findon Valley Library from 2pm to 3.30pm: Relax with Colouring. The first of a number of pop-up sessions throughout May where people are invited to enjoy this peaceful pastime to reduce stress and be creative. All materials provided.
• Broadfield Library from 11am to 1pm: Coffee Morning with a Sussex Caring Pets Dog alongside a display of Crawley old & new photos by Jeff Pitcher.
Wednesday May 18:
• Worthing Library at 2.00pm: A free interactive, bitesize course on how complementary therapies can aid positive mental wellbeing by Sharon Blakeley from Coastal West Sussex Mind and Carers Support West Sussex. Aromatherapy, seated acupressure massage, reiki and mindfulness will be discussed as well as information on how to access them safely and effectively. Spaces are strictly limited so please book early.
Thursday May 19:
• Horsham Library from 2pm to 4pm: A Chinese Wellbeing Workshop will explore Chinese Wellbeing practices such as Meridian Massage, Food and Health, Tai Chi and Qigong.
• Crawley Library from 11am to 1pm: Mitch, the Pets as Therapy Dog (PAT) dog, will be visiting Crawley Library during one of our popular board games sessions.
Friday May 20:
• Worthing Library at 12.30pm: ‘Relationships through Poetry’ recital by The Roundabout Poets. At this free drop-in event people can bring along a much-loved poem or short prose to share, read from their own work or just listen to others.
• Worthing Library at 2pm: A free ‘Address Your Stress’ workshop will be led by family-run Free Your Mind Therapies. This is an opportunity to learn about different ways of coping with stress, the importance of learning to listen to your body, being aware of what your mind is telling you, and how to take steps to improve your overall health. There will also be brief demonstrations of Mindfulness and Tapping - methods of reducing stress. Tickets must be booked in advance via Worthing Library.
For more information visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/libraryevents
To find out more about mental health and the support available visit www.connecttosupport.org
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.