A man who stalked four women on social media with fake profiles has been dealt with by the courts.
Nicholas Orloff, 40, from Birkdale Drive, Crawley, was charged with four counts of stalking involving serious alarm or distress following a complex Sussex Police investigation.
Police say in a statement that they were first alerted to the torrent of messages from Orloff in July 2017 when one of the victims reported the harassment to Sussex Police.
The woman, in her 50s from Arundel, had received private messages from a number of fake social media accounts stating they knew where she lived and threatened to kidnap her son.
Orloff then started posting public messages about the victim on the same fake accounts.
The second victim, a London woman in her 40s, saw one of these messages and told Sussex Police she too had been sent harassment messages for six months from the same profile.
On 26 July 2017, Orloff was arrested at his home address and officers seized the computers from the premises. He was released under investigation and the enquiries continued.
After painstaking research and investigation, officers were able to trace two more victims who had been sent malicious messages by the defendant; a woman living in Scotland and a woman from Crawley.
Detective Sergeant David Midgley of Chichester Investigations said: “Orloff went to extreme lengths to try and slip under the radar with these messages.
“He created dozens of fake profile accounts and used technology to disguise his IP computer address to make it harder for someone to trace where the messages were coming from.
“The messages Orloff sent to his victims contained horrendous insults and were of a sexual nature.
“He caused a huge amount of distress and anxiety for his victims, resulting in each of them making adjustments to their day-to-day lives in a bid to prevent any further messages.
“Each of the victims aided us with our investigation and I would like to commend their bravery throughout the court proceedings.”
Orfloff pleaded guilty to each of the offences and appeared at Lewes Crown Court on Tuesday October 30.
He was given a two year suspended sentence, a rehabilitation order and a restraining order on all four victims.