Six fire crews were called to a blaze at a village home this afternoon (Sunday February 14).
Crews from Horsham, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Turners Hill and two fire engines from Crawley attended the fire in Sparks Lane, Cuckfield at around 2pm.
A spokesman for the fire service said the blaze broke out in the ground floor of the building before spreading to the roof, setting a small area alight.
Around 20 per cent of the first floor was filled with smoke.
Three hose reels, six breathing apparatus and a water jet were used to fight the flames.
The spokesman added a gas main was also set alight.
The fire has now been extinguished.
The spokesman added a gas leak has been reported in the home and crews are still at the scene with members of the gas board as they try to isolate the leak.
No-one was in the property at the time of the blaze and no injuries have been reported.
The extent of the damage is not yet known.
Police are also in attendance and have closed the road in both directions between the A272 junction and the Broad Street junction.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.midsussextimes.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidSussexTimes
3) Follow us on Twitter @midsussex_times
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Mid Sussex Times - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.