Burgess Hill just four points from league title after drawing blank at Faversham

Will Miles, Burgess Hill Town FC. Picture by Ian Morsman SUS-150113-081327001
Will Miles, Burgess Hill Town FC. Picture by Ian Morsman SUS-150113-081327001
  • Hillians just four points from league title
  • They face Corinthian Casuals on Wednesday night
  • Then face Carshalton away then Worthing at home over the Easter weekend

Burgess Hill Town travelled to Faversham who were hoping to claw back three points in their bid to catch Hill for the league title.

The game drew a crowd of three hundred and thirty five and they only had to wait six minutes for the first chance of the game which came in the form of a penalty, Toby Pointing was penalised for a late tackle inside the box and home captain Wayne Wilson was given the spot kick that he smashed against the post and saw it rebound to safety.

The large travelling crowd thought Hill should have had a penalty of their own after ten minutes but the referee showed Scott Kirkwood a yellow card for diving in the box, both sides were seeing plenty of the ball but were cancelling each other out meaning no more chances were created until Darren Budd had a half chance on twenty three minutes when he hit a shot from outside the box that home keeper Robert French saved comfortably.

On thirty minutes Josh James made a save from a Jamie Wilson free kick that he curled around the home wall.

Scott Kirkwood went close on thirty seven minutes after Sam Fisk put in a long throw that found him on the edge of the box but his effort went just over and just before half time Joe Keehan saw his powerful volley go just wide of French’s far post.

The second half again started with both teams not giving anything away and the first chance fell on fifty nine minutes when the host’s Stuart King beat two Hill defenders on the edge of the box and hit a low shot across the goal but no home attackers were able to make contact and the ball went wide of the far post.

Ian Chapman replaced the hard working Dan Perry with Lee Harding on sixty eight minutes which saw Pat Harding go up front and Lee out wide on the right, Andy Pearson was called upon on seventy two minutes when Josh Stanford put in a dangerous cross into the box and Josh James was left flat footed when Stuart King found space and curled a shot just wide of the far post.

Darren Budd was replaced by Dan Pearse in the centre of midfield on seventy five minutes as Faversham started pushing hard for the win and David Botterill went close for the home side on eighty five minutes when he hit a volley just over from twenty yards out this was to be the last chance of the game.

Callum Saunders came on after this attempt to replace Rob O’Toole and help Hill see out the ninety minutes.

This was a well earned and valuable point for Burgess Hill against a side that have been keeping a close eye on Hill’s results as they still had hopes of winning the league.

Burgess Hill Town: Josh James, Toby Pointing, Sam Fisk, Darren Budd (Dan Pearse 75), Andy Pearson, Will Miles, Scott Kirkwood, Joe Keehan, Pat Harding, Dan Perry (Lee Harding 68), Rob O’Toole (Callum Saunders 86)

Unused Subs: Graham Martin