‘Orderly return’ to school for Sussex children

Children in Sussex have been going back to school today for the first time since lockdown - and headteachers say it has been an orderly return.

Monday, 1st June 2020, 2:02 pm
Updated Monday, 1st June 2020, 4:59 pm

They say a ‘majority’ of children eligible to go back - reception classes and Years 1 and 6 - have attended.

Sharon Bondonno, headteacher at Handcross Primary School, said: “It’s all gone very well.”

She said the children had been prepared in advance to expect ‘social distancing’ in classrooms and in the playground.

Kingslea Primary School, Horsham SUS-200106-133454001

“We have had a deep clean of the whole school and we have removed furniture to provide more distance and we have individual packs so children have their own resources without needing to share.”

She said Year 6 pupils returned today and the younger children were due back on Monday.

Kingslea Primary School in Horsham said around 80 per cent of eligible children in Reception and Years 1 and 6 had returned today.

Headteacher Alexis Conway said: “It’s been going very well. We have had very good communication with parents over the last 10 weeks.”

He said Reception class children were attending on a rota system of ‘in one day and not the next’.

Youngsters are working in ‘bubble’ groups that they stay in during classes, at lunchtimes and in the playground.

Leechpool Primary School in Horsham plans to open classes for Reception and Years 1 and 6 from tomorrow (Tuesday). Classes will be staggered and parents have been told that only those who have received a letter from the school with joining instructions should attend.

Many schools have remained open during lockdown to look after the children of key workers.

Wendy Millbanks, headteacher of Balcombe Primary School, said the school was currently only open for vulnerable children and those of key workers. “At the moment, with the guidance of how we need to do social distancing, we are at capacity with our children of key workers.”

She said a date had not yet been set for the return of other children.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.