Horsham fire warning to rivals

Horsham's Johnny Whiting was instrumental
Horsham's Johnny Whiting was instrumental

Coach Nick Stocker fired out a warning to the rest of RFU London South East Division 3 after Horsham’s 70-0 mauling of Park House.

The result was Horsham’s biggest win since rejoining the London Leagues in 2007, and Tyler Aitken led the way with four tries as the Green and Whites claimed their second win since mid-November.

Stocker enthused: “This performance has been long overdue. It has been frustrating to have to wait this long, but I am happy with the quality and intensity of our play, in particular the improvement in our handling. If we can repeat the quality of execution week after week, we can be a threat to all of the sides above us in the league, but most importantly it will restore confidence to the team.”

Horsham’s intentions were clear early on and Will Bell’s 20 yard break and pop pass allowed skipper Matt Brown to score the opening try, converted by Mark Brandon. Soon after, wingers Jamie Gibbs and Aitken were involved as Brown darted into the corner for his second score.

By now the back row of Rob Clegg, Iain Fisher and Johnny Whiting were dictating play, and sure enough, more tries followed as Brown fed Giles Barber and Whiting followed that up with a pushover try.

With Horsham firmly in the ascendancy, Brown and Sam Bell were able to vary the play with some smart kicking, and there was more to come before the break. After another Whiting break, Jonny Ordidge fed Aled Price who raced away to score in the corner.

The Green and Whites held a 38-0 lead at half time, although were not prepared to rest on that cushion. Aitken produced some individual brilliance early in the second half, when he gathered the ball on half way and side-stepped through the entire Park House side on a solo run to score under the posts.

Two ferocious Talbot tackles inspired Horsham to maintain their levels of intensity and Aitken and Gibbs continued to lacerate the Park House defence. Gibbs finally got on the score-sheet following good hands from right to left after supporting a break by Aitken, and then returned the favour with a well-timed pass to allow Aitken his hat trick.

Neal Holden then scored after another Whiting break, and on 68 minutes Aitken scored his fourth try in the left hand corner. Park House rallied and only a Bell tackle prevented a score before Ordidge wrapped-up the scoring from Fisher’s 80th minute burst.

Horsham: Talbot, Grantham-Hill (Penston 40), Barber (Holden 54); Grover, Matterface; Fisher, Clegg , Whiting; Brandon, W Bell (Price 45); Brown, Ordidge; Aitken, Gibbs; S Bell.