Chimney fires in homes in Warninglid and Henfield have helped to prompt a safety warning from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.
Firefighters were called to three separate fires across the county yesterday (Wednesday January 21) within eight hours.
A chimney fire was reported at a home in Colwood Lane, Warninglid at about 1pm, while a stove caused a fire in a house in Brighton Road, Henfield at around 7.30pm.
Later in the evening, crews also attended a chimney fire at a cottage in Bognor.
In all three cases firefighters were able to extinguish the blazes quickly, but the fire service has reminded homeowners that chimney fires can be devastating.
Crews attended 128 across the county in 2014.
Watch commander Jon Etherington, whose crew tackled the blaze in Bognor, said: “The weather has turned considerably colder recently so some people are lighting their open fires and wood burners for the first time this winter.
“Unfortunately, we’re seeing a rise in chimney fires as a result.
“Most chimney fires are preventable. They are usually caused by a build-up of coal soot or wood tar deposits so regular professional sweeping of your chimney flue removes those deposits and reduces the risk of a fire.”