VIDEO: Memories of Concorde world records
On February 13, 1985, a Horsham pilot secured four world records while commanding a Concorde on a three day round trip from London to Sydney.
As the anniversary approaches, Captain Hector McMullen of Forest Road, Horsham, shares some of his memories of that epic flight.
The new records were for the fastest flights between London and Sydney, Sydney to Paris, Sydney to London, and London to Sydney and back.
Now 81, Capt McMullen cherishes fond memories from the time, including signing autographs at Sydney and more generally the awesome thrust of a Concorde on take-off.
Watch the video to hear more as the former Concorde commander speaks to Theo Cronin.
See this Thursday’s County Times for an exclusive feature, including more pictures, comment and memories from another local resident, 86 year old Norman Gilham of Capel, who commissioned the flight.
A video of Mr Gilham’s reminiscences will also be available to view at www.wscountytimes.co.uk soon.
Do you have a story? Contact Theo Cronin on 01403 751 233, or email email@example.com
- Brighton and Hove Albion training ground extension approved, despite flood fears
- Big hearted Craig, 24, has given life to others
- Preview: Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion FC - play-off semi-final
- At the Vets: Going on holiday? Make sure that your pets have a good time too
- EXCLUSIVE: New flight paths from Gatwick could affect thousands in Sussex
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for West Sussex
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North