VIDEO: Man rescued from flat fire in Worthing town centre

0
Have your say

A MAN has been rescued by firefighters after a fire in a second floor flat in Worthing town centre this afternoon.

The fire happened above Candy Love, in Montague Street, at around 12pm and the man, thought to be middle-aged, was pulled out at about 12.20pm.

The man has been taken to hospital because of smoke inhalation.

Candy Love owner Paul O’Brien called the fire brigade when a member of staff phoned to tell him the shop’s alarms were going off.

He said: “There was thick black smoke and from what I could see, it was pretty bad.

“I called the fire brigade and managed to get another couple out of the building.

“They just pulled someone out but I don’t know how bad it is yet.”

Roy Barraclough, of West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called at midday and pulled a man out of the second-floor flat.

“He is being treated for smoke inhalation. We are investigating the scene now.”

The scene has been cornered-off and large crowds had gathered at the scene.