UPDATE: Worthing Pier fire caused by discarded cigarette

Firefighters tackling the blaze at Worthing Pier SUS-150613-230619001

Firefighters tackling the blaze at Worthing Pier SUS-150613-230619001

1
Have your say

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (WSFRS) has confirmed the pier fire last night (June 13) was caused by ‘discarded smoking materials’.

A spokesman for the service said the investigation concluded it was accidental ignition.

Six fire engines were called to the blaze on the western side of the southern pavilion just after 8.30pm yesterday.

WSFRS said it was alerted by Southern Monitoring – Worthing Pier’s AFA monitoring company - as well as a member of public who reported seeing issuing from the western side.

Shoreham Lifeboat Station sent out its inshore and all-weather lifeboats at 9.15pm. By the time they reached the scene the fire was out.

Firefighters found a fire in an external cavity wall and extinguished the fire using two jets and the pier’s main ring.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.