A Crawley Borough councillor has spoken out after four people were sentenced following a brawl in Bewbush Park.
Doris Robertson, 50, of St Aubins Close, Broadfield, Hansley Robertson, 25, of Britten Close, Bewbush, and Kenny Robertson, 23, of Martyrs Avenue and a teenager, who can not be named for legal reasons, pleaded not guilty to violent disorder.
Kenny Robertson also pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving.
All were found guilty after a trial at Lewes Crown Court on October 6.
At a sentencing, held on Thursday November 19, Judge Anthony Scott-Gall said the four were involved in a fight with a group at a play park in Dorsten Square on July 27 last year.
When leaving the scene Kenny got into his car and had a bike thrown at the windscreen. He drove the wrong way round a roundabout and hit a pedestrian knocking her into a hedge.
Michael Jones, Crawley Borough Council’s Cabinet member for Public Protection and ward member for Bewbush, said: “ Bewbush is a vibrant neighbourhood with a big heart and great sense of community.
“A lot of positive work takes place in Bewbush and we won’t allow the minority to jeopardise this for the majority.”
Kenny Robertson was sentenced to a total of 18 months - nine months imprisonment for violent disorder and nine months for dangerous driving, to run consecutively, and all suspended for two years. He was also disqualified from driving for three years, was ordered to pay £1000 compensation to the victim of his driving, and was ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work.
Hansley Robertson was given a nine months suspended sentence for violent disorder and was also ordered to carry out 100 hours unpaid work.
Doris Robertson was given a nine months suspended sentence for violent disorder.
The teenager was required to attend a youth work project, was given a 14 months Youth Rehabilitation Order and was ordered to carry out 80 hours unpaid work, all for violent disorder.
Police said more than 20 calls were received from concerned members of the public as the clash took place, with reports of baseball bats and stones being used as weapons. One of the police officers who came to the scene was attacked, suffering minor injuries.
Chief Inspector David Padwick said; “This serious incident resulted from a series of local disputes between young men in the area.
“We will not tolerate this type of behaviour in Crawley and have worked with our partners in Crawley Borough Council and from other agencies to tackle the issues that caused this incident.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawley.observer
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.