Police launch drink-drive crackdown

0
Have your say

Motorists have been warned they have just one simple choice when it comes to alcohol - drink or drive - never both.

Sussex Police launched its summer drink or drive campaign on June 1 and, in conjunction with Sussex Safer Roads Partnership (SSRP), will take to the streets reminding motorists of the life-threatening dangers.

From now until the end of the month, police across the county will be stepping up their usual activities to crack down on people who think driving while under the influence is acceptable.

Those found over the limit wil be taken off the roads.

However it is not just busy town and city centres which will be targeted, but also rural locations, where motorists often make a relatively short journey home from a country pub.

Chief inspector Phil Nicholas from Sussex Police Road Policing Unit said: “During the summer months people often get caught up in the excitement of the sunshine and enjoy an alcoholic drink outside, in a pub garden or on the beach, without thinking about the consequences if they then decide to drive.

“Drink driving will not be tolerated in Sussex.

“Not only is it against the law but it is known to result in death or injury to either yourself or others.”

He added that if you are planning on having a drink or taking drugs then do not get behind the wheel of a car while impaired.

In the last three summer campaigns (2012, 2011 and 2010) there were a total of 9,703 tests and 429 arrests.

In 2010, 3,297 tests were conducted 151 arrests were made; in 2011, there were 4,229 tests and 161 arrests; and in 2012, there were 2,177 tests and 117 arrests.

The 65999 short text number sends reports into the Sussex Police Control Centre and Chief inspector Nicholas said that live tweeting during a Christmas drink-driving campaign had been a huge succes.

He added: “It is another innovative way of engaging with the public.”