A Southwater filmmaker’s quest to highlight the danger of toxic fumes through his latest project garnered national attention late last month.
Tristan Loraine, director and producer at Fact Not Fiction Films, said a Sunday Express article on the allegation that toxic fumes had caused a cabin crew to faint showed why his new film ‘A Dark Reflection’ needed to be made.
The former airline captain says he was forced to retire on the grounds of ill-health, and has long held that a compound used in jet engine oils presented a very real flight safety issue, harming passengers and crews around the world.
The feature film, due to start filming in under three months, will address the health and safety implications from exposure to contaminated air in aircraft.
Susan Michaelis, head of research at the Global Cabin Air Quality Executive, was quoted by the Sunday Express as saying that air passengers were being exposed to hazardous substances, and that installing detection systems on aircraft would be a sensible way forward.
Since the film is a co-operative project it is relying on the support of cash investors, actors, crew suppliers and service providers. The County Times has pledged its support.
To be part of A Dark Reflection email Sarah Holloway at firstname.lastname@example.org
“I lost my medical certificate to fly as an airline captain due to exposure to contaminated air on commercial aircraft in 2006, ” said Tristan in March.
“I am not alone - passengers and crew around the world have suffered like me.
“Some are no longer with us. This is a scandal of epic proportions.
“I want to ensure the solutions that exist and which could protect everyone who flies become reality, not just dreams.”
Fact Not Fiction Films has produced several award-winning films, including Shady Lady, a documentary about a World War Two bomber crew that crash landed in remote Australia.
Tristan added: “Don’t underestimate how much this will influence airlines and the regulators when they see that people are willing to come together and make a film on a cooperative basis to get this issue sorted.”