A MAN has been found dead by firefighters attending a flat fire in Worthing this morning (Monday March 19).
Firefighters were called to the first floor maisonette in Gratwicke Road at 5.12am this morning after the alarm was raised by a neighbour hearing the windows of the converted terraced house blow out.
After dialling 999 the neighbour attempted to enter the flat but was beaten back by fire, intense heat and thick smoke.
Two fire engines from Worthing were on the scene within minutes and while one team wearing breathing apparatus conducted a search of the property a second crew very quickly brought the fire under control using hose reels to stop it spreading to neighbouring properties.
Firefighters found the dead man on the second floor.
Fire Investigation Officers are currently at the scene working alongside the police to establish the cause of the fire which is believed to have started in the lounge area of the maisonette.
At this stage there is no evidence to suggest that the fire is suspicious.