Fire update: ‘no working smoke alarm’

Firefighters at the scene in Westdean Road, Worthing

Firefighters at the scene in Westdean Road, Worthing

1
Have your say

An appeal has been issued by the fire service following a blaze in Worthing last night.

A West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said crews were called to Westdean Road in Worthing at 11.44pm by a man trapped inside his bungalow, after a fire started in a microwave. Fire control operators advised him to leave the property but the phone line went dead.

Three fire engines from Worthing were immediately scene to the scene and crews arrived within four minutes of the 999 call.

The spokesman added that on arrival firefighters were confronted with smoke pouring from the property and a well-developed fire in the rear kitchen. The man was found at the front door and was immediately led out to fresh air. He was given first aid by firefighters and paramedics for smoke inhalation and minor burns. He was subsequently taken to hospital.

The fire was extinguished by crews wearing breathing apparatus using hose reels and the bungalow was ventilated using a positive pressure ventilation fan. The kitchen was left gutted by fire and the rest of property damaged by heat and smoke.

Worthing watch commander Darren Wickings said:“The occupier was extremely lucky to escape without serious injury because he was not protected by a working smoke detector. A small fire can soon develop into a much more serious one if you don’t have that crucial early warning. A smoke detector is quite simply a must have. We’d urge everyone to test their detectors regularly and make sure they have an escape plan in the event of a fire.

“Don’t forget that we may be able to help by offering a free Home Safety Visit. We prioritise those who are over 65 or who have a disability. If you are concerned about fire safety in your home or the home of someone you care for then get in touch with us on 0845 872 9719 or via our website.”

Firefighters will be returning to the address today to offer fire safety advice to neighbouring properties.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.