Milton Mount Playgroup, currently in the news after a three year old girl escaped from the grounds and ran off, was rated ‘good’ in its last Ofsted report.
The report was published following an Early Years Register inspection in March 2013.
Inspectors gave the playgroup a ‘good’ rating for quality and standards, one up from the ‘satisfactory’ rating it was given in September 2011.
The report noted:
“Children enjoy a welcoming, well-resourced and supportive environment.
- The playgroup operates a free-flow system between the indoor and outdoor learning environments.
- The outdoor learning environment provides interesting and stimulating activities that engage children and successfully promotes learning and development across all areas.
- Staff organise themselves well and work effectively as a team to provide a good variety of play and learning experiences.
It is not yet outstanding because
- Staff occasionally do not manage some aspects of children’s behaviour sufficiently well.
- Children are not always encouraged to help tidy away toys and resources, in order to learn respect for their environment.”
In a generally very positive report, inspector Daphne Brown said: “Staff work very well as a team and all staff are good role models. Staff are well deployed so that children are supported in their learning both indoors and outdoors. When new children start, the key person spends time settling them into the new environment, guiding them through the routine and allowing them to choose from the activities available. This helps children form strong attachments with staff; allowing children to settle and feel confident to explore their surroundings.
“Children generally behave well and staff calmly diffuse minor arguments. They praise children and remind them not to run inside, which helps them to understand how to keep themselves safe. However, staff do not all have the necessary strategies in place to consistently manage more challenging behaviour and help children to recognise the effect of their behaviour on others.”
Early Years Register inspections are normally held once per inspection cycle, with the current cycle not due to finish until the end of July next year.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.