Downs demonstrators walk possible A27 route

Worthing Downlanders walk potential route of an improved A27 SUS-140411-113208001

Worthing Downlanders walk potential route of an improved A27 SUS-140411-113208001

0
Have your say

DEMONSTRATORS visualised the ‘full horror’ of potential A27 developments by walking across the South Downs on Saturday.

Worthing Downlanders believe swathes of the Downs could be at risk, should the Government give the green light to improvements to the congested road later in the year.

Around 30 people walked a theoretical route considered by a stakeholder group – one option of several on the table to calculate costings for the various schemes.

Downlanders member John Hughes said: ““With the downs in all their autumn splendour, it was a perfect day for us to visualise the full horror should a four lane dual carriageway be ploughed across it.

“With 50 foot high viaducts or embankments across valleys and 150 foot deep cuttings through rolling hills, a landscape to behold at present, would be no more.”

East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tim Loughton told the Herald last week that several draft options were on the table, including a four-lane carriageway and a tunnel.

He stressed these were not the final routes but the campaigners remain concerned about the impact on the Downs.