A HENFIELD man along with 11 others who were charged with violent disorder have been jailed following an organised fight in Brighton, say Sussex Police.
Matthew Cummins, 34, of Wantley Hill Estate, was jailed for 12 months after the fight among football fans in Grove Hill, Brighton, on Saturday July 31 2010.
It took place as Brighton and Hove Albion FC played a pre-season friendly match against Aberdeen, said the force.
Police received a total of 28 calls relating to the fight from members of the public and 20 officers arrived within minutes to deal with the incident.
The 12 arrested and later charged all pleaded guilty to violent disorder.
All received six-year football banning orders except two men who had already received banning orders in August 2011.
Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett said: “We are pleased that the sentences they received reflect the seriousness of this incident.
“Football is about the enjoyment of a sport not about violent disorder. I am very grateful for the support the communities, Brighton and Hove Albion and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) have provided to bring these people to justice.
“I hope the sentences will deter others who think it’s acceptable to act in a similar way. Most people enjoy football and their good behaviour should not be marred by a mindless minority who harm and scare others.”
A CPS spokeswoman added: “We would like to pay tribute to the quick thinking and swift action of the members of the local community who through various means recorded the incident without which we wouldn’t have been able to successfully prosecute.
“This is a case of the CPS and police working with the help of the local community to identify and prosecute football risk supporters.”