DCSIMG

Work continues to restore town’s war memorial

S22783H14  Working on the war memorial in Shoreham

S22783H14 Working on the war memorial in Shoreham

WORK on Shoreham’s town war memorial is continuing, in preparation for First World War commemorations.

Adur Council has arranged for the names on the memorial, on the East Street wall of St Mary de Haura Church, to be restored.

Churchwarden Ian Tompkin explained the history of the war memorial.

“The small section of land on which it stands was made available from St Mary’s Churchyard by the vicar, churchwardens and parochial church council in 1923.

“In church law, the vicar and churchwardens were granted a faculty by the chancellor of the diocese of Chichester in 1923, allowing a small portion of the churchyard to be separated for the erection of a war memorial.

“In ecclesiastical law, the churchyard is the property of the vicar, as it is a closed churchyard (no further burials to take place); by Order In Council 1895, then under the Burial Acts of the 19th century and recited in the Local Government Act of 1972, the responsibility for the maintenance of the churchyard passes to the local authority.

“The opening of the Mill Lane Burial Ground in 1886 was to replace St Mary’s Churchyard for burial purposes.”

The names of the fallen from the First World War were first recorded on the church war memorial – a brass tablet in the Memorial Chapel inside the church.

The names are listed as surnames, plus the first name and any other initials, with the rank included in most cases.

The town memorial outside repeats the names, with an additional four added.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page