West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has published safety advice on using candles after a fire in a Crawley home.
Firefighters were called to a small fire at a house in Maple Close, Langley Green, on Sunday (October 3) at 5.45pm.
The fire had been put out by the time firefighters arrived but the hallway was damaged by heat and smoke.
The following candle safety advice has been provided by WSFRS:
Always place candles and tea lights well away from curtains, furniture and drapes, and always out of draughts.
Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Keep candles away from hair and clothing.
Always place candles upright in suitable holders that cannot fall over easily.
Always make sure that candles are properly extinguished, especially before going to bed.
Never put tea lights on top of TV sets or other plastic surrounds such as baths; the results could be devastating.
Always ensure that tea lights are in proper holders.
Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
Remember,the risk of accidents is greater when alcohol has been consumed.
If you discover a fire get everyone out as quickly as possible, close all doors behind you, call the Fire and Rescue Service and do not go back into the house until the fire officer has told you it is safe to do so.