A WOMAN whose son was left waiting a week for an operation to repair a severely broken elbow has criticised doctors for a ‘diabolical’ lack of communication.
Carolyn Jefferis’ son Tom, 14, was placed nil by mouth four times at Worthing Hospital before operations were cancelled.
He was even visited by surgeons to discuss the success of his operation – before an operation had taken place.
Mrs Jefferis has urged the hospital to improve its communication to nurses and parents and is making a formal complaint.
She said: “The nurses and A&E staff were great but the lack of information from the surgical team was diabolical.
“A surgeon said he had plates put in. He hadn’t even had any surgery. It didn’t bode very well as they thought the operation had already happened.”
Tom injured himself playing football in a friend’s garden on Tuesday, April 15.
He was taken to A&E, before being transferred to Bluefin ward. Mrs Jefferis said they were left without information until the following evening.
What followed was a series of four operation cancellations, with Tom unable to eat for the majority of the days, as he waited to go to theatre. He was on morphine for the pain.
For the full story, see the Worthing Herald, out Thursday, May 8.