Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in Lowfield Heath.
Crew attended at 9.45am yesterday (Thursday February 6) after ash was seen rising from a chimney in Poles Lane.
A faulty oil-fuelled AGA had caused the fire.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service inspected the external oil supply and chimney flue using a thermal imaging camera.
A spokeswoman said: “It is recommended that a oil-fired AGA heat-storage cooker should be serviced at six monthly intervals. Three-oven and diesel models may extend to 12 months.
“Solid fuel models would require their internal flue ways to be cleaned monthly, with a six-monthly sweeping of the connecting flue pipe.
“The main chimney should be swept annually.”