The fiancée of one of the victims of the Shoreham Airshow disaster has called for the event to be banned.
Giovanna Chirico made the comment after expressing her disgust at the condition of a temporary memorial for the victims of the Shoreham Airshow plane crash.
The area by the Shoreham’s Old Tollbridge, including a metal arch with memorial ribbons attached and picnic tables, was surrounded by overgrown weeds and litter was scattered around.
Giovanna said she went to the site on Monday to see if progress had been made on a permanent memorial ahead of the first anniversary of the disaster in August, but seeing it brought her to tears.
“There were stinging nettles everywhere. It bothered me that it got to that state – I didn’t know whether to be angry or upset.
“I don’t want to take my kids up there. They saw that bridge as a place to be near their daddy.”
I don’t want to take my kids up there. They saw that bridge as a place to be near their daddyGiovanna Chirico
When she returned on Wednesday with her son Luke, 12, she said he didn’t want to be there.
“He said to me: “What is this mum?” It was horrible; I felt so upset. He saw the memorial area and said it’s just a few bushes and mud.”
Volunteers cleaned up the area on Tuesday evening, and representatives from West Sussex County Council inspected the area on Wednesday morning.
A spokesperson from Adur District Council said both councils ‘are really grateful to the local community for their help and will continue to monitor the site closely’.
The crash killed 11 people on August 22 last year, including Giovanna’s fiancé Mark Trussler.
The Airshow was cancelled this year out of respect for the victims and their families – but Giovanna wants a permanent ban.
Giovanna appeared on Good Morning Britain today and spoke out against it, saying ‘so many people had died already’ and that she ‘didn’t want anyone else to go through’ what she had suffered.
Adur District Council are drafting plans for a permanent memorial, and according to a council spokesperson all the victims’ families were given a progress update in May.
But Giovanna said she feels she is in limbo regarding the plans and wants the permanent memorial installed before the first anniversary of the tragedy.
A statement from Adur District Council said: “We’re just about to update all of the families with the progress made so far, and the next part of the process to develop a fitting, lasting, memorial. Once we have shared this with them, we will share it publicly.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.