Conflict as revised plans for higher builds are agreed

S35901H13  ''Residents of the The Meadway Shoreham Beach protesting about new House in Old Fort Road Shoreham Beach
S35901H13 ''Residents of the The Meadway Shoreham Beach protesting about new House in Old Fort Road Shoreham Beach

REVISED plans have been approved by Adur District Council to build new seafront homes ten inches taller than first agreed amongst controversy with residents.

Adur District Council originally approved a proposal to demolish two bungalows and build four two-storey properties in Old Fort Road, Shoreham, in January 2012.

However after building started planners discovered that the homes were in fact 260mm taller than allowed.

At the council planning meeting on Tuesday night the new planning application to build higher was approved despite locals’ concerns.

Some residents believe the renewed height will mean greater invasion of privacy and more noise.

Dawn Clenton-Sparey, of The Meadway, which is directly behind the buildings, said: “The developers attempted to push the builds to the maximum, in terms of boundary dimensions and height.

“We have had approximately 60 objectors support us on the council website. People are not happy on Shoreham Beach that our requirements are repeatedly overlooked by developers whose goal is increased profit. This is not for the good of the community which is already beginning to fracture and create conflict between residents.”

The height issue has stemmed from human error. This means that the back of the properties are 10.8 metres away from those behind it rather than the 11 metres which was approved.

Mrs Clenton-Sparey believes that not adding a roof terrace to the build would help the situation.

She added: “This clearly opens up a bigger issue with regard to the Government and the council trying to push as many new builds as possible. But this roof terrace will not house more residents. All it will gain is a sea view for its residents at the expense of all properties who live alongside and back on to and detrimental to the local amenity. The opinion we are forming is that profit dominates this situation, not residents who have lived here (some 40 years) a very long time and the quality of their lives from their own residence.”

The council received five letters of support and 43 letters of objection.

Case officer Peter Barnett, of Adur District Council, said in a report to the committee that it had been approved because: “The development is within the built-up area and helps meet the need for additional housing without detracting from the existing local urban environment. The changes to the approved scheme do not result in unacceptable detriment to the amenities of neighbouring properties when compared with the approved plans. It consequently does not conflict with the relevant saved policies of the Adur District Local Plan (AG1, AH2) or the policies of the National Planning Policy Framework.”

Plans were approved with the additional condition of obscure glazing for the lower part of the first-floor windows.