Allotments provision is questioned

S23511H13 Concerns have been raised about allotments provision

S23511H13 Concerns have been raised about allotments provision

0
Have your say

ALLOTMENT holders in Adur have raised concerns about future provision in the district.

Barry Hillman, from Shoreham Horticultural and Allotment Society, spoke out at Adur and Worthing councils’ joint overview and scrutiny committee on Thursday.

He questioned the Open Space Assessment Report, currently being considered for adoption by the councils.

“It is disappointing to read that no contact had been made with Adur allotment societies,” he said at public question time.

“It does not make any recommendations on how or where additional allotment sites will be found to meet the increase in population recommended by the Adur development plan.”

He also said Eastbrook allotments should not be included and pointed out a planning application for part of the site had already been approved.

“Although Eastbrook is within the Adur boundary, it is a Brighton and Hove facility and is not available to Adur residents,” said Mr Hillman.

John Mitchell, director for communities, said he took some of the points made on board and agreed to get back to allotment holders to discuss others in more detail.

“Some points which Mr Hillman has made are valid and recognised and there is a need for more conversations on allotments in Adur. I am certainly very happy to do that.”