Access for new Pulborough homes an ‘accident waiting to happen’

JPCT 030613 Bartram House, Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin ENGPPP00320130506105727
JPCT 030613 Bartram House, Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin ENGPPP00320130506105727

Access to nine new homes planned for Pulborough is an ‘accident waiting to happen’, according to one of the village’s district councillors.

Outline permission for the Bartram House site off Station Road was refused by Horsham District Council but then allowed on appeal by the planning inspector.

Pulborough Parish Council objected to the detailed reserved matters application, citing a lack of visibility for drivers coming out of the site of traffic coming from the west, while it called for the stability of the bank to the west to be investigated and continually monitored.

But it was approved by HDC’s Development Control South Committee on Tuesday.

Objector Gwen Parr raised concerns over the site’s stability and the safety of pedestrians using the driveway.

But Paul Dickinson, speaking on behalf of the developer, explained that access arrangements had been carefully addressed by West Sussex County Council, and although there had been a preliminary slope assessment, the issue would be dealt with under building regulations.

Ten letters of objection raising concerns including traffic and stability of the site.

Paul Clarke (Con, Pulborough and Coldwaltham) raised concerns about the site’s access on to the A283, which he described as a ‘very busy road with a lot of HGV traffic’, and the driveway’s ability to safely handle vehicles as well as other road users such as pedestrians and cyclists.

He added: “This proposed design is an accident waiting to happen. I do have an issue with the access, disabled access, and access for people with young children.”

Brian Donnelly (Con, Pulborough and Coldwaltham) raised the site stability, but was told by officers that the planning inspector had raised no issues in his report, and it would be a matter for the building regulation stage.

Philip Circus (Con, Chanctonbury) also raised concerns with the access.

Referencing the inspector’s report, he said: “What I think it says is the access on to Station Road is thoroughly unsatisfactory but if this was a new development it would be unacceptable, but because its already thoroughly unsatisfactory there’s no reason it should not continue to be thoroughly unsatisfactory?”

Officers replied that the homes would improve the existing access situation as they would produce less trip movements than an office business.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at www.wscountytimes.co.uk

2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wscountytimes

3 Follow us on Twitter @wscountytimes

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!

The County Times – always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.